It seems that an argument about free speech is to go before the U.S. Supreme Court. It involves the loathsome Phelps coven, the Westboro Baptist Church and the father of a dead U.S. marine, whose funeral the WBC protested at.
As much as it pains me to say this, I think the WBC are right in their free speech argument. That argument gives everyone, of whatever religion or none, the right to express their views, and if that right is taken away from one group (or even one person) it can be taken away from anyone.
On this side of the pond (UK) we don’t have a written constitution, and it can look to us like a very sharp double-edged sword, so a better way of dealing with scum like Phelps, in my opinion, would be to use that other edge, and protest against him and his “church”. Sadly I’m unlikely ever to get the chance of protesting in person, as the Phelps clan is banned from entering this country, but if the ban is ever lifted I’ve got a picture all ready to display. If anyone who can get near the WBC would like to use it, please do!
Spare a few coppers guv?
- Translate this blog into different languages...
Albanian Arabic Bulgarian Catalan Chinese Simplified Chinese Traditional Croatian Czech Danish Dutch Estonian Filipino Finnish French Galician German Greek Hebrew Hindi Hungarian Indonesian Italian Japanese Korean Lativian Lithuanian Maltese Norwegian Polish Portuguese Romanian Russian Serbian Slovak Slovenian Spanish Swedish Thai Turkish Ukrainian Vietnamese
- 40,333 hits
- Please sign & RT this petition, it means a lot to me: you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/hold… via @38_degrees 6 days ago
- Please ask @DLidington not to give #g4s or #serco the #police power of arrest - Sign here: you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop… via @38_degrees 1 week ago
- RT @JohnCleese: A surprisingly large number of my friends are saying that, given the choice between a UK ruled by thugs like Murdoch and Da… 2 weeks ago
- RT @NevilleSouthall: Getting a bit of stick from Tories tonight Must be getting through They have no defence for letting people die Homel… 2 weeks ago
- RT @NevilleSouthall: Tories Always moaning about hard brexit or soft brexit What about a brexit that’s best for people of Britain You nev… 2 weeks ago
Send me a private message