The Roman Catholic Church,through its mouthpiece Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, has been whining to the United Nations that people and governments who disagree with its stance on homosexuality and disallow discrimination against gays are infringing its members’ human rights!
Although he said that the church condemned all violence against people because of their sexual orientation or behaviour he added “but states can and must regulate behaviours, including various sexual behaviours.”
Firstly, why must states regulate behaviours, sexual or otherwise, if those behaviours don’t affect other people?
Secondly, any regulation of behaviour between consenting adults infringes on their human rights. Any punishment arising from such regulation does likewise. Even a financial penalty can escalate, if (quite rightly) not paid, and imprisonment will usually follow. The unjust use of such force is a form of violence.
These childish rants from an increasingly irrelevant organisation invite ridicule, but the fact that some people actually take them seriously is worrying. In parts of Africa, the church encourages, even lobbies for, anti-gay legislation which includes the death penalty.
Spare a few coppers guv?
- Translate this blog into different languages...
Albanian Arabic Bulgarian Catalan Chinese Simplified Chinese Traditional Croatian Czech Danish Dutch Estonian Filipino Finnish French Galician German Greek Hebrew Hindi Hungarian Indonesian Italian Japanese Korean Lativian Lithuanian Maltese Norwegian Polish Portuguese Romanian Russian Serbian Slovak Slovenian Spanish Swedish Thai Turkish Ukrainian Vietnamese
- 39,973 hits
- Please sign this petition asking the govt to make an exception to Universal Credit rules this Christmas: speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/univ… 23 hours ago
- UK Parliament: Repeal the government decision to exclude animal sentience in the EU Withdrawal Bill change.org/p/uk-parliamen… via @UKChange 23 hours ago
- RT @DoctorChristian: Trump has reversed ban on importing trophies from elephant hunts. Please sign this petition and help stop men with tin… 4 days ago
- Trump just gave his son a sick gift -- letting hunters bring African elephant heads home as trophies. Let's stop hi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- RT @bellafortunate: This tweet is so juvenile, #RoyMooreChildMolester wants to date it. twitter.com/realDonaldTrum… 1 week ago
Send me a private message