The Roman Catholic Church,through its mouthpiece Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, has been whining to the United Nations that people and governments who disagree with its stance on homosexuality and disallow discrimination against gays are infringing its members’ human rights!
Although he said that the church condemned all violence against people because of their sexual orientation or behaviour he added “but states can and must regulate behaviours, including various sexual behaviours.”
Firstly, why must states regulate behaviours, sexual or otherwise, if those behaviours don’t affect other people?
Secondly, any regulation of behaviour between consenting adults infringes on their human rights. Any punishment arising from such regulation does likewise. Even a financial penalty can escalate, if (quite rightly) not paid, and imprisonment will usually follow. The unjust use of such force is a form of violence.
These childish rants from an increasingly irrelevant organisation invite ridicule, but the fact that some people actually take them seriously is worrying. In parts of Africa, the church encourages, even lobbies for, anti-gay legislation which includes the death penalty.
Spare a few coppers guv?
- Translate this blog into different languages...
Albanian Arabic Bulgarian Catalan Chinese Simplified Chinese Traditional Croatian Czech Danish Dutch Estonian Filipino Finnish French Galician German Greek Hebrew Hindi Hungarian Indonesian Italian Japanese Korean Lativian Lithuanian Maltese Norwegian Polish Portuguese Romanian Russian Serbian Slovak Slovenian Spanish Swedish Thai Turkish Ukrainian Vietnamese
- 39,722 hits
- I've signed the petition to make sure a tragedy like the #Grenfell fire never happens again. Will you add your name? speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/gren… 1 week ago
- RT @UKLabour: Did you stand up for our NHS today by voting Labour? Great! Now share this ↓ #VoteLabour #GeneralElection17 https://t.co/hq5z… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Fifthcolumnblue: Heard a rumour that #AmberRudd has been seen crying. Don't worry, I'm crying too. Mine are just tears of joy at the t… 2 weeks ago
- RT @PavartiKTyler: ⭐ 10 FREE SCI-FI READS, BECAUSE YOU ROCK! ⭐ Aliens, Technology, and Spaceships Galore... litring.com/sci-fi/ https:… 1 month ago
- RT @mark_carrigan: Retweet if you find John Humphrys rude, inane and idiotic. I used to listen to #r4today daily & largely avoid it now bec… 1 month ago
Send me a private message