The original of the picture above showed Colin Brewer, an independent member of Cornwall Council, holding a pamphlet titled “The Code of Conduct”. He should have read it before making the comment, at a Disability Cornwall stall at County Hall in Truro in 2011, “disabled children cost the council too much money and should be put down”. He has apologised.
So remorseful was he that it took until very recently to apologise.
So contrite was he that he didn’t apologise until the Standards Committee demanded that he should.
So penitent is he that he has refused to resign, in spite of the widespread demand, even claiming that there haven’t been any calls for him to do so. He has even said “I have no intention of resigning. I don’t think I have done anything wrong. I have apologised.” If he thinks he hasn’t done anything wrong, then the apology is insincere and worthless.
The WOW Petition calls, very precisely, for “a Cumulative Impact Assessment of Welfare Reform, and a New Deal for sick & disabled people based on their needs, abilities and ambitions”, but it is more than that.
Making people aware of the problems faced by sick and disabled people is just as important, and bigots like Councillor Brewer are a huge part of that problem, especially when they are in positions of responsibility.
The Standards Committee haven’t the power to sack or suspend Brewer, as many people have asked for. That decision will be in the hands of the voters of Wadebridge East, who he purports to represent.
UPDATE: After some pressure from many people on-line, Brewer has resigned, and he has even admitted that he was in the wrong. What a pity he took so long to realise that.
- Councillor who said disabled children ‘should be put down’ refuses to resign (telegraph.co.uk)
- ‘Kill disabled children to save money’ councillor facing calls to resign (metro.co.uk)
- #WowPetition – Please Keep It Going! (neitshade.wordpress.com)
- Councillor: disabled children should be ‘put down’ (itv.com)
- Some Petitions – Please Sign (neitshade.wordpress.com)
- Councillor sparks outrage after saying ‘disabled children should be PUT DOWN’ (swns.com)
- Councillor apologises for saying disabled children should be put down (guardian.co.uk)
- One for the voters of Wadebridge (blogs.independent.co.uk)
- ‘Put disabled down’ councillor sorry (bbc.co.uk)
- I’m not resigning – Councillor who said disabled children should be put down (yorkshirepost.co.uk)